Thursday, January 17, 2008

Sweeney Todd and Cloned Beef


I am a big fan of Tim Burton. I am a big fan of musicals. I abjectly love Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter. And I really like steak. My prediction was that watching Sweeney Todd was going to be the pinnacle of my existence thus far, and that eating cloned beef was going to be pretty much unnoticeable and unexciting. Unfortunately, the movie failed to deliver the kind of rapture I was anticipating. I was ready to revise my top ten list, people! I was ready to make space next to Evita and The City of Lost Children and The Nightmare Before Christmas! We even imposed on our only local relative so we could go and see it in an actual theater. But Sweeney Todd failed to transcend.

The whole thing was a little claustrophobic. The shots too tight. The storyline too controlled. The surfaces too grimy. Where were the sweeping shots, the dazzling landscape, the bitter contrast between in and out, Halloweentown and Christmastown, the woods and the hearth, the suburbs and the castle? In one number only, Burton emerged: during Mrs. Lovett's "By the Sea" song, we saw everything his movies can be: it was like Big Fish and Corpse Bride all in one song.


But that was all, really. The rest was very tight, very close, very monotonous. Johnny Depp looking haunted next to this window, Johnny Depp looking haunted next to that window, and Helena BC rushing up and down the stairs. Did I love it? Well, yes. Of course. Johnny Depp and Alan Rickman sang a duet, using their own voices. Helena Bonham Carter and Sacha Baron Cohen made me laugh. The two little birds he cast to play the young lovers were swell. But it just didn't go there, for me. It wasn't beautiful. It wasn't grand. Dark is great, terrible is great, but I need a more expansive scope, a broader arc, a higher swell. Dan says my expectations were too high.

But never fear. A light is dawning on the horizon. Surely cloned beef will satisfy my intestines, where Sweeney Todd has failed to thrill my soul. Or, at least, it will go through my digestive system completely unnoticed, a perfect simulation of regular meat that came about via the original reproductive process. People are cranks. They say it's unnatural, weird, creepy; some even say "abominable." Ever the optimist, I approach my cloned beef consumption with a bright spirit. No, it won't be labelled. No, I won't have any idea when the cloned beef is about to pass my lips. But I have faith that when I spoon up that next bite of chili, so full of such a technological wonder, that I, like those poor souls in Mrs. Lovett's shop, will eat hungrily, happily, without concern. Forget the barber upstairs, people, and enjoy your damned meat pie.

6 comments:

  1. I like Tim Burton, Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter too, but for some reason I saw the previews for Sweeny Todd and had absolutely no desire to see it whatsoever. Your review pretty much reinforces that. Maybe I'll rent it someday.

    I wish Cartoon Network was still good. The shows they air now just suck! I miss Looney Tunes- like June Bugs, an entire month of Bugs Bunny. That was a good month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Dan. You went in expecting THE PERFECTIONATE HEAVENS and only saw one of the best movies that will release this year.

    I loved it, every millisecond.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I LOVED Sweeney Todd - it did go right up there with Evita,I tell you. And particularly when Johnny Depp sang - oh, the rapture! Who knew he could sing with so much gravel-lyness? Loved. It. And as a person, I mean not an actor, i am not interested in the man. Unless he sings, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Tim Burton.
    He is the best!
    I like Johnny Depp
    I think about Sweenye Todd are a fantastic film.
    I like Bitlejuice, Edwar manostijeras , la novia cadaver ... Well... I'm spanish , but I like Tim Burton , my life is black , dark...

    I like films :
    Of coure , for Tim Burton
    And films for Steven Spielverg : Back to the future ...

    When I saw The nighmare befour chirsmars(~) I was four years , and I liked this film ...

    Bitelchus ( Beetlejuice )
    oh! , I like Bitlejuice...

    plis , send one comment with answered me

    I LIKE TIM BURTON , HE IS THE BEST...
    & I like to Michael J. Fox

    Bye

    ReplyDelete
  5. fan_Tim_steven_Johnny_MichaelFebruary 3, 2008 at 7:23 AM

    I like Tim Burton.
    He is the best!
    I like Johnny Depp
    I think about Sweenye Todd are a fantastic film.
    I like Bitlejuice, Edwar manostijeras , la novia cadaver ... Well... I'm spanish , but I like Tim Burton , my life is black , dark...

    I like films :
    Of coure , for Tim Burton
    And films for Steven Spielverg : Back to the future ...

    When I sawThe nighmare befour chirsmars (~) I was four years , and I liked this film ...

    Bitelchus ( Beetlejuice )
    oh! , I like Bitlejuice...

    plis , send one comment with answered me

    I LIKE TIM BURTON , HE IS THE BEST...
    & I like to Michael J. Fox

    Bye

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maa Sarla Devi Ji knows the anguish of her consumers and wants to get rid of their grief as soon as possible. She never wants that you can suffer from any type of problem in your pleasurable life.

    Love Marriage Problem Solution

    ReplyDelete